Spring is the perfect time to reflect on your site’s implementation of Check & Connect and set goals for implementation for next year. In past blog posts, we’ve discussed the idea of implementation fidelity, which really means implementing an intervention or program the way it was intended to be implemented and the way that evidence suggests it should be implemented. In Check & Connect, implementing with fidelity really means ensuring that the core components and elements of Check & Connect (shown in the figure below) are being implemented consistently.
Tools for Self-Assessment and Reflection
In our 2012 manual, Implementing with Fidelity, as well as in our trainings, we provide the Check & Connect Core Components and Elements Self-Assessment Tool for self-assessing fidelity of implementation at your site. We recommend completing this form as a team and then discussing the following reflection questions:
- What are your strengths in implementation? What are you doing well?
- What are the areas in which you need to improve in order to implement with greater fidelity?
- What are your goals for implementation the rest of this school year?
- What would you like to do differently next year? What improvements would you like to make?
You may want to capture your discussion on our Implementation Reflection and Goal Setting Form.
For ideas for improving your fidelity of implementation, we suggest that you:
- Revisit the manual, Implementing with Fidelity
- Read related blog posts:
- Consider holding a Check & Connect Fidelity of Implementation Follow-up Workshop at your site
We invite your comments on implementation fidelity of Check & Connect below.
- What questions do you have about implementing with fidelity?
- What components or elements are you implementing well?
- What tips do you have for implementing these components or elements?
- Which components or elements are more difficult to implement?
About the Author: Angie Pohl, Ph.D. provides training nationally and internationally on Check & Connect, serves as an investigator on several Check & Connect research projects currently underway, and is one of the authors of the 2012 Check & Connect manual, “Implementing with Fidelity”.
© 2014 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.